Crisis: Examples, Lessons and Curiosities
From Adaptive Cycle
In this page are show the examples from Group 6 lecture.
Google Flu Trends
- Google found that certain search terms are good indicators of flu activity. Google Flu Trends uses aggregated Google search data to estimate current flu activity around the world in near real-time.
Wal-Mart and their meeting video tapes
Wal-Mart meeting videos were a smoldering crisis that could have been prevented 
- Wal-Mart. For years, the company hired Flagler Productions to videotape management and shareholder meetings. But in 2006, Wal-Mart ended its relationship with Flagler. That meant the end of 95% of Flagler's revenue. To keep from going out of business, Flagler became a video archive for anyone looking for evidence in suits against the retail giant. And we all know there are many plaintiffs out there targeting Wal-Mart.
- For example, Wal-Mart has been accused of discriminating against women, which it denies. But video is available of Sam Walton himself telling the board there weren't enough women in management. Flagler charges 196.53€ an hour for video research and additional fees for a DVD copy of film clips.
- Wal-Mart and Flagler had no contract, so Wal-Mart has no legal claim to the videos, which date back to the '70s. The company reportedly offered half a million dollars for the tapes, but Flagler expects to earn several times that much by offering the videos to Wal-Mart's enemies.
- The lesson here is to take minutes at meetings. Don't hire an outside firm to tape them. If you must record private meetings, you certainly need a contract that makes you owner of all footage. This smoldering crisis easily could have been prevented. Don't let a similar situation place your organization in an embarrassing -- and expensive -- predicament.
Scientists study whether cats can predict earthquakes [video]
- Can animals predict earthquakes? That is the question some scientists in Japan are trying to answer. They believe there is evidence to suggest animals can sense changes in the atmosphere when the ground is about to shake.
Ron Paul predicts the housing crises in 2003 [video]
- Ron Paul is correctly credited for accurately predicting, IN 2003, the devastating housing bubble of 2008 and the resulting worst financial crisis in American history since the Great Depression.
The Google Prediction API [video]
- The Prediction API enables you to make your smart apps even smarter. The API accesses Google's machine learning algorithms to analyze your historic data and predict likely future outcomes. Using the Google Prediction API, you can build the following intelligence into your applications. Read more at http://code.google.com/apis/predict/
Chaos - Crisis
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb expands on the current economic crisis in relation to chaos-theory, complexity and turbulence. The increase of the environment due to globalisation and over optimalisation is addressed.
- "Wal-Mart Meeting Videos Were a Smoldering Crisis That Could Have Been Prevented", Communicating Through a Crisis Blog, April 2008. URL: http://crisisexperts.blogspot.com/2008/04/wal-mart-meeting-videos-were-smoldering.html